Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean I miss you.. Until we meet again.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bella is everywhere..

I woke up knowing that today was not going to be a good day. I have had this overwhelming feeling for the past few days. It could be that the 28th of the month is just around the corner or it could also be this depressing weather. I think that the sun needs to just come out, and stay out. I also think that we should really consider taking the number 28 out of the calendar. It hurts too much to know that by now we'd almost be halfway to 2 years old. Instead of planning a wonderful birthday party, I'll be trying to figure out ways to honor the memory of my little love. 

The day before yesterday I was sitting at the mausoleum looking at pictures of Bella. I was going through each one and trying to remember exactly what we did the day that each one was taken. One by one, they each had a story to tell; what caused that smile? Who was holding her? Who picked that outfit? I can usually get through each one feeling satisfied that I can remember all the details, relieved that I haven't forgotten. There is a picture where Bella looks like she is staring directly at me with that look. She used to stare at me when I would talk, almost as if she knew exactly what I was talking about, then she'd kind of sigh (like she was bored) and she'd turn her little face away. I sat and stared at that picture for the longest time, imagining that exact expression. Wishing that it was her and not just a picture of her. There are just some days that her absence is more devastating than usual and some days that the pictures are just too much of a reminder of what we're missing, but for the most part they are comforting. A reminder of this little angel we were blessed to have met.

I had a dream last night that Bella was with me. In the dream I was holding her and I didn't want anyone to take her from me. I sat with her and I had this feeling of completeness, I was happy. I couldn't see her beautiful little face, but I knew it was her. Bella started to choke on her saliva; that familiar sound that I used to worry about. I woke up from my dream looking for her. I wanted to turn around and find her there, but I just found the empty spot where she used to sleep. I know that it's selfish of me to want her back. I know that Bella is in a better place. I just can't help missing her so much. She completely stole my heart.

I stopped by 7-eleven today on my way to school and as I was walking out towards my car, I noticed that the car next to me had parked really close to me. I had to wait until the man took his daughter out of the car so that I could get in mine. I waited patiently, even though I was already running late (Bella gave me one of her famous nudges). The man was talking to his daughter and she was giggling; she looked like such a happy little girl, not to mention that he looked like such a proud dad. I couldn't help but smile. The man looked over at me and said good morning, his daughter was smiling at me too, she must've been about three years old. I told him how cute she was and he said, "Yeah, she gets her looks from her mom. Kids are so much fun, you should have one." I stood there nodding in agreement. You're right, kids are fun. I know, because I've had one. What I wouldn't give to have my sweet baby with me. Is it written all over my face that my child is gone? Or did you just assume that I don't have one? How in the world did you know that my daughter isn't with me? You didn't notice her car seat, it's still back there. That's what  I really wanted to say, but instead, I got into my car and drove off; the tears just kept coming. Of course, that man had no idea, he was just trying to be nice; but I felt like someone had knocked all the air out of me. I don't know why that comment hit me so hard, but it did. I felt like today was going to be a bad day, and it was. It's okay though, because not all days are like today.

Lately it feels like Bella is everywhere. She's the sunshine that comes out unexpectedly, or the gentle breeze that kisses my cheeks. The other day, I was out to dinner with Bella's godparents and we were talking about how Bella is with us wherever we go. I'm always running late to everything, but it seems like anywhere I go, I find the best parking. I like to believe it's Bella. She probably thinks, "I'll save this parking for my mom so that maybe she won't be late." It's a nice little image that makes me smile. Signs of her presence seem to pop up everywhere. There was a man sitting a few seats away from us wearing a shirt that said Chao Bella, we all smiled because we knew. Bella was there with us, smiling that we were all together. I was so blessed to have had Bella here with me, and as much as it hurts not to have her here, I know that she is happy. I know that she is always with me, and in that I find comfort. Sometimes, it just feels better to be angry, or to be sad, or to simply feel cheated of time. However, there are also days where I feel like the luckiest person to have been able to meet such a beautiful little angel, to have and to hold in my heart for a lifetime.

Just remember, there isn't a single moment that you're not on my mind.
I love you Lovebug.
I always will.






3 comments:

  1. Hi Aurora,

    I love the way you perfectly describe every look, every smile, and every moment of Bella. I feel as though I would know her big brown eyes anywhere. It's obvious how completely devoted you are to your sweet angel, and time will never change that...but I pray that as time goes you will see all the beauty and wonder of Bella's life, and your heart will smile again. Much Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading and thinking about you. You're a good mommy and inspire me to be a better mommy.

    ReplyDelete